Here's a photo of my cancerous thyroid and lymph nodes after they were removed. Neat, huh?

My current stats:

Thyrogen-stimulated Tg 4.0, TgAB less than 20
(down from hypo-stimulated Tg 16.7 in Dec. 2009)
WBS negative

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Aunt Judy's Support

From: Judy
Subject: You are...
To: "Pomije Lynn"
Date: Wednesday, June 10, 2009, 3:47 PM

I tried emailing you at the beginning of the week but my address book wouldn't open.
So, how are you doing? Is it similar to the last procedure? Easier or harder to live with?
How is the rest of the family coping? Are you keeping busy?...can you use the computer?
When will your life be back to what it was?
I've been thinking about you and hope you are getting by, looking forward to a better life with less worry about your health and future.
xxoo
baj

From: Lynn Pomije
Sent: Jun 10, 2009 4:51 PM
To: Judy
Subject: Re: You are...

Hi, Judy.
First of all, what is baj? I'm used to paj and am not sure who baj is...perhaps beautiful aunt judy? brilliant aunt judy? boxing aficionado judy?

The treatment is much like the last one, with the notable exception that I got to come straight home after taking the dose instead of being admitted to prison...eh, the hospital... afterwards. It's SOOOOO much better to be home and in isolation than it was in the hospital. Since I'd never done it before, last time I was glad to be in the hospital at my most radioactive (even though by the time they discharged me I was going nuts, pacing the hospital room and probably muttering to myself), but now that I know how much more comfortable I am at home, if I ever have to do this again (God willing, I won't), I would want to do it outpatient.

Yes, I can use the computer. Pommy has set me up with a laptop borrowed from work that we can keep here for as long as we want.

Rest of the family seems to be doing fine. Brendan is with his dad all week and weekend and I won't even see him til I'm back to being nonradioactive, so it has no effect on him. Jack and Pommy seem to be doing fine. Friends and my mom and dad have made sure they're set for meals and my mom is picking Jack up 3/5 days this week and keeping him til dinnertime when Pommy picks him up, and a good friend of mine from Jack's school is picking him up the other 2 days and keeping him til dinnertime when Pommy picks him up.

As Pommy said today, this week is more "weird" than "hard." I have to agree. You know how sometimes life feels surreal, and it's uncomfortable because it's surreal, and you crave normalcy? That's how it is.

I felt fantastic all the way up to and including Monday. Plenty of energy and spirits high. Tuesday a little more tired (24 days off Synthroid catching up with me) and today really tired and a little nauseous in the morning, but a little less nauseous this afternoon after a 2.5-hour nap. Wow, I'm sure boring you with a lot of details. Hope you don't mind.

I'm safe to be back among the public next Monday, still taking precautions with my saliva (sounds weird, but that's what I have to do)--in other words, no sharing drinks or mouth kissing (eek! cooties!) and taking precautions with other bodily fluids (not peeing on anybody would be included in this, I suppose). After 14 days everything returns to normal. Yea! I get to go back to peeing on people like Taco does when she's excited to see them!

I realize I'm gross.

How are you doing, Judy? I know you are going on some gamble-a-thon with my mom and her pals next week. But how are you doing? I've also been meaning to ask you how Dale's nephew is doing with his diagnosis and what's been going on with that. Let me know.

Thanks for the e-mail, Judy.

Love you,
rnl
(radioactive niece lynn)

Re: You are...
Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:49 PM
From: "Judy"
To: "Lynn Pomije"

First of all, baj = best aunt judy.

So glad you weren't in the hospital -- bad things can happen there -- just ask Dale!

Weird is O.K., we've been there, done that. And it is only temporary. Hopefully the side affects will disapate and you will get more normal.

Mike's pathology report says no cancer in the lymph nodes and even though he is in pain, he's recovering with hope that removing the prostate will be enough.

I am trying hard and keeping reasonably busy but am frustrated that I do not feel any better. I have a hard time accepting the finality of losing Dale.

I am going gambling with your mom and we will have a good time -- she tries hard to make me feel better. Problem is, no one can bring Dale (my life) back.

I enjoy hearing the details of your situation and life.

Thanks for your response and feel free to feed me all aspects of your life!

Love you,
paj and baj

No comments:

Post a Comment